Friday, October 16, 2009

The Right Price

Last week we were in Chennai. We landed from Chennai mail at the railway station at 4.30 AM and some 10s of Auto and taxi drivers caught us at the entrance requesting to take their taxi. Each quoted varying prices ranging from Rs.150 to Rs.180. the normal prepaid rate was about Rs.100 and how can they over-charge a finance professional? I did a cut-throat bargain and finally agreed at Rs.130/- and landed home. All this for a saving of Rs.20/-. The evening, I had visited Chennai City centre along with some relatives and went for dinner at the terrace garden. I did not even read the bill before slipping my credit card into the black pouch. Should have a paid a premium 100 times the money I saved with the auto driver without any complaint. I really wonder. Eating out has an entertainment and bonding value and if I choose to each out, I need to pay the price for it. So should I pay the auto-driver Rs.20/- extra. But why should I pay a premium when I can get one without paying it, even though the poor fellow is up in the morning at 4.30 and the difference the extra money would make to him is far higher that what it would mean to me – but then, I know I am pound foolish. Can I be penny foolish as well? tough question?

Now the next one, The reason why the place charges a huge premium is for sitting under the open sky and eat while looking at the moon and bond with a near one. When we were children, my grandmother used to give us “Nila Sadam” on the terrace, wherein she would make small balls of rice and curds and give on the hands of all of us. This used to be coupled with nice stories and some real bonding between all us cousins. These days, we never meet cousins without purpose and most flats don’t have terraces (since those spaces have been sold off as private gardens by the builders), nor does any one have the time to make and feed curd rice balls under the sky. What have I accomplished at the end of this highly elegant life style. Another tough question?

Now the last one. My parents never had a concept of exotic weekend breaks. The max an outing they would have taken us would be a visit to Marina Beach or Kabaleeshwarar Temple coupled with a small snack. The only big outing was an LTC once in two years which used to be largely funded by my father’s public sector employer. But then, there was no dissatisfaction or stress. Now, why do I desire for these weekend breaks and recreations at expensive places – well, I need to get rejuvenated after a tough working week. Why do I have a tough working week – Obviously, I need to grow and make money. Why I need to make money – So simple, I need to afford the current lifestyle which I live and what is the current lifestyle and do I really need it – I guess, I don’t have an answer here again.

1 comment:

  1. I loved your post, particularly the last point. Everywhere I see couples making big plans about weekend getaways. I am tempted too. What stops me is when I remember how my parents never went out on such weekend breaks. Yet the walks, the small outings and moments they spend with me remain so invaluable to my memories. It is so beautifully absorbed in my mind and I think the best part, as you stated too, is that none of us ever had a feeling of stress or dissatisfaction.

    Today, couples are ready to quarrel if they don't get to go to expensive places. They feel stressed out after every working week and struggle to bring up one kid!

    I really enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete

thanks a ton for your nice views on my post